May 17, 2016

THE NYSC ROAD ROBBERY



On July 6, 2011, eight months after my final year exam, I set off for NYSC orientation camp in Umudi, Nkwerre local government area of Imo state. Batch B, 2011 orientation camp had opened on July 5.
I got to the Cross Country park at Ojuelegba for my scheduled bus, which take off time was 6:30am. Lagos to Imo is an eight hour drive so I was expected to get to camp before evening parade, but due to unprecedented circumstances, we set off 9:00am. Nine commuters (seven corps members and two other travellers) set off from the park and other travellers joined us along the road as we traversed on our journey and being a quiet person I sat with my arms folded across my chest and listen to the chatting of my fellow commuters. Our bus was supposed to be a direct route to the orientation camp due to high number of travellers but because of bus shortage on the part of Cross Country we had to allow other non corps members travellers; it was the harbinger to disaster. We could not achieve the eight hour drive from Lagos to Imo due to many stops on the way. We got to Onitsha by 7:00pm and by 8:00pm we were close to NYSC orientation camp in Umudi, Nkwerre local govt area of Imo state.
We had stop earlier at Onitsha to allow some travellers to alight, which left us with eight commuters (seven corps members, one non corps member and the driver). I was seated beside the door (when travelling never seat beside the door though in case of emergency it may help but during robbery you are the first call).
Two junctions to the camp, we were driving slowly because of the muddy road and a slow-paced lorry (like those we had in Agbo goes to school and Ali and Simbi that we read in primary school) in our front. Some unsuspected robbers had been on our trail on bike because they guess we are corps members and new to the locality. Their first attack was on the driver in order to get us to a halt and after him, me. At first I thought to myself, what such of wild friends will be struggling the control of a bus with their friend when they knew it dangerous (I never knew they were robbers, it was my first experience) I was the second in line because I sat beside the door, I had not fully comprehend the scenario when the door beside me open and the phone in my hand was gone, my wallet drop from my pocket to the robber’s hand with ease because of the gun he had to my face, whether the gun was real or fake, whether it has bullets or not was not a discourse; it never cross my mind. The passengers that set at the back were able to remove their sim and some with two phones gave out only one, the other three colleague of mine that were going to Imo state had two phones each and were lucky to give up their ‘AA’ and preserve their ‘BB’. I received a slap for a reason I decided to keep mute on. All the guys on board were ask to lie on the bad muddy road. They stole our valuables and left us in the middle of the road, they did evil and run away.
We got to camp and information, like a wild wind that can’t be tamed got to all and sundry in no time. I decided to stay mute on the experience throughout the camp. The sanguine lady among us told everyone about the experience and was always pointing friends at us at various time in camp to attest the truthfulness of her story; partners in robbery attack, I guess she would say. We received favour the night we got to camp because of the incident, I got another favour because the camp commandant has the same surname with me and the RSM (Regimental Sergeant Major) was a fun to behold, I had a chat with him once and I could tell he was a fun to be with.
I decided to get a police report and court sworn affidavit of the stolen items and was able to sweet-talk my other colleagues (I mean partner in robbery attack). After much discourse the camp co-ordinator grant us exit from the camp on July 11, to Nkwerre local government police station (only three of us went because one of the ladies as relocated back to Lagos). We went to the court first to sworn an affidavit (despite our condition we were still charge, in fact we had to change court because of cost, am an economist you know) and then proceeded to the police station. We met the DPO (Divisional Police Officer) at the station who ordered the officer in charge to type the police extract while we have a chat with him. The discourse was really nice but he made a statement that begat many rhetorical questions in me. He said ‘NYSC should have informed him about the orientation camp so that he would have ensure more safety measure on the path to the camp by deploying his men towards that region (NYSC orientation camp was located within Nkwerre local government area of Imo state which was under his jurisdiction), and my questing spirit ask, do you keep your home safe only when strangers announced their presence and home coming? The in-flock of over one thousands corps members on Tuesday (July 5) and some on Monday (July 4) into your locality was too minimal for you to smell a rat. He claimed it was the phone call after the unleashed robbery attack on us by untamed hoodlums in his society that informed him of the on-going orientation camp. What a disappointment!
After the dialogue the officer in charge of typing the police extract ask us for a fee (bribe) but we pay him no dime; thanks to the police officer that came with us from the orientation camp, he left angrily and I queried what his salary was meant for? I pitied the police officer because there was neither power supply nor computer in that station and he had to use a type writer; it would have been faster and easier if it was on a computer because he would only have to edit some information. The DPO sign and we left back for the camp.
Camp came to an end on July 26, and I set out for Lagos after an exhilarating experience in Umudi camp, Nkwerre local government area of Imo state. Three out of the four robbed Imo state corps members relocated to Lagos and only one corps member remained to serve her motherland in Imo while we decides to serve in Lagos state. We spent twenty days at NYSC orientation camp in Umudi, Nkwerre local government area of Imo state but it was a life experience.
Long live Nkwerre local government,
Long live Imo state,
Long live National Youth Service Corps,
Long live federal republic of Nigeria.