May 17, 2016

FROM NYSC SECRETARIAT TO PPA: MY NYSC POSTING



After three weeks of exhilarating regimental lifestyle, I will need a good therapy to regain whole consciousness, thanks to leave from all camp activities.
I spent exactly fifteen days; the equivalent of three weeks, after my arrival from Imo state to get my posting letter. It should take three days since I had a request letter, but . . .
I arrived in Lagos and contacted a friend who was an intern with a firm that recruits corps member. Ironically only two set of corps members were welcome: those posted from NYSC or those that knew someone in that firm; I was not among the two set but I won’t give up.
On August 2, 2011 over thirty corps members were gathered, all asking for an opportunity to be absorbed in the firm for the NYSC scheme. Some chose the firm because of money but I chose the firm because I was really in need of a PPA (Primary Place of Assignment).
I neither know anybody in the firm nor was I posted by NYSC but I was determined, dogged and desperate. I pray before setting out that morning and keyed into the prayer of a man of God in this country, which has become a popular ringtone ‘As I succeed’ and ‘If there is nothing to worry about’ by Pastor W.F.Kumuyi. I was determined to write the exam at all cost, even if I had to break a bank, today I will get a PPA I said to myself. I was finally allowed to write the test; mercy rejoices over rule. Test result should take only twenty-four hours but it turns into sixty-hours. On August 5, 2011, I received a congratulatory test message that I have survived the long huddle and have won a request letter now am a step forward in the NYSC scheme.
This is the end of a chapter but the beginning of a new one.
I submitted my original request letter on August 8, to the security guards at the state secretariat because I was a JJC (Jolly just come), and did not ask enough questions. I was a victim of inadequate information because I should have submitted it to a staff. On August 23, I saw my folder after much pleading but could not find my submitted request letter in it. My hard earned request letter was gone, the security guards said he submitted it, the staff said she had no record. What will I do? I pleaded and was allowed to submit a photocopy of the request letter and three days from that I got my posting letter.
In those three weeks I prayed, fasted, got a new type of perseverance; understand some of the challenges of the NYSC scheme. I am serving in a firm where I knew no one save an intern and they said  there was no space for me.